In this six-week course, we will study the techniques and craft of poetry in models, and students will then practice those lessons in their own work. We will look at formal poetry – sonnets, pantoums, villanelles, etc. – and study free verse. We will read poets such as Sharon Olds and Walt Whitman, Terrance Hayes and W. B. Yeats, Nikki Finney and Elizabeth Browning. We will look closely at how poets use devices like rhyme, rhythm, and sound to enhance meaning, and we will study how the visual layout of a poem affects the way it is read.
As I get to know the writing interests of students, I will tailor both reading and writing assignments to the specific goals of students while also pushing everyone enrolled to read new writers and try new things.
Each class week will go something as follows:
- Friday – receive assignments for next week
- Tuesday – begin discussion of reading assignments in private Facebook group
- Thursday – submit piece to Dropbox for workshop
- Sunday – workshop classmates pieces and submit comments to Dropbox
- Each day – participate in conversations about craft and reading assignments in Facebook, as time permits.
Each student will be asked to read 5-10 poems a week and write 2-3 poems a week.
Cost – $250– Includes all reading and writing assignments.
Sign up for this course via Paypal by using the button below. Paypal will send you a receipt, which confirms your place in the class.
I do accept payment plans with a $50 deposit; please contact me to discuss that option. Refunds are available until the first day of class. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me.