Yesterday, I shared that – to my glee – I have some extra room on my fiction bookshelf, and so I’m looking for guidance on what to fill it with. The ever-wise Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy made an astute comment: “Would love to know more about what you’ve already read, loved, and hated.”
So I decided I should do a Top Ten List of my Favorite Novelists, so here, in no particular order, are 10 fiction writers I love enough to keep their work on my shelves and read everything they’ve written.
1. A. S. Byatt – Possession and Elementals are my favorites.
2. Toni Morrison – Paradise is on my Top 10 Books of All Time.
3. John Irving – Owen Meany of course.
4. Marilynne Robinson – Gilead, Home, and now, I hope, Lila changed my life.
5. Salman Rushdie – Midnight’s Children blew me away!
6. Chaim Potok – Everything, absolutely everything, but especially, My Name Is Asher Lev.
7. Sherman Alexie – Loved Indian Killer and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.
8. C.S. Lewis – The Chronicles of Narnia will also be my favorite books ever.
9. Zadie Smith – Sigh. On Beauty.
10. Virginia Woolf – She’s Virginia Woolf. Need I say more.
So with those authors in mind, who else should I read? Anyone you think I’d absolutely die to get my hands on? Anyone on this list that you love? Loathe?