Tomorrow morning, in the bright and chilly pre-dawn, Philip and I will climb into Trapper and head to the Dulles Expo Center for the Log and Timberframe Show. There, we’ll take a class on how to plan and build our dream lodge for the farm, and then, we’ll stroll the show to get information on builders and suggestions about design.
Oh, and we’ll pick up some timberframe swag, too, I hope. Philip is planning to carry a tote bag for just such a purpose.
Our dreams are lofty – both figuratively and quite literally since we want an office/library loft for me int he lodge – and we’re very excited to get to see this show.
Here’s what I hope we learn:
- How to build as green-ly as possible on a budget.
- How to act as our own contractor.
- How to design a space that is both open but cozy and warm.
- How to layout the house on the land to take in as much of the landscape as we can.
- How to incorporate as much glass as possible without also heating the entire county.
- How to choose stone for the massive (hopefully, two-sided) fireplace and build it so it doesn’t fall on anyone..
- Who might be a good builder
- and do they make timberframe dog houses.
I’m sure I”ll have lots to share next week, but until then, wish us luck. . . and stay tuned, I’m hoping to score some swag to share with all of you.
By the way, we have a Pinterest board just for the farm. You can check it out here to see all our ideas for the timberframe and the farm in general. Thanks.