This morning, the sun is glittering off the ice on the still-green lilies in my yard. We’re at the cusp of winter, which I try to honor but settling into the evenings more, sewing, watching movies, going to bed early with a cup of tea beside me as I read myself to sleep.
So with those evenings in mind, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite, lesser-known films.
1. Love, Valour, Compassion – by Terrance McNally. It’s a great story of friendship and love. Beautiful.
2. The Last Kiss – by Paul Haggis. Like Crash , another of Haggis’s films that I love, this one is full of human insight that blend humor and poignancy.
3. Artemisia. A film about the life of Artemisia Gentileschi, a famous Italian painter.
4. In the Bedroom, based on a short story by Andrea Dubus. Powerful and unpredictable – utterly human.
5. Pan’s Labyrinth. Fantastical, troubling, and ultimately gorgeous.
Share our thoughts on these films. Tell me your favorites. I need more movies to watch this winter, and would love suggestions.